Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's global warming, Al Gore . . .

So, this is a place that RARELY freezes much - even in the dead of winter - right? But last night it got to 32 degrees - and it's still September! Wacky, crazy cold spell this week. So, I'm not buying the tale that 1/2 the states in the union will be underwater due to any massive ice-melting flood any time soon. Sorry, Al. I'm just glad I brought my UGG boots - much to my family's mocking, since we certainly did not pack in such as way as to be expecting to encounter chilly temps like this - but hey - who's having the last laugh now, eh?!! It sort of feels like we're back in South Dakota! Although, I do believe the temps are unseasonably warm there now - right? Hey - enjoy it while you can, eh?! This is the best time of the year in SD, I say. I love it when the air gets cool and clean and crisp, and all the fall colors start popping out all over. Spectacular. Too bad we're missing it.

A couple of bad fires here the last couple days sent tons of black smoke down the valley. It seemed to fill the RV and it was actually tough to breathe. It looked like dusk in the middle of the afternoon and was like driving in black fog. Very strange.

The RV park we're staying at next to a golf course, so Judah is pleased as punch. He's been over there chipping and putting and plans to play a round in the next day or two. Some RV parks are really family friendly, with a pool, or a game room or something - and - some are not. This one is not. It is filled with old retired people and their dogs. It still amazes me the number of people that RV for a living. They have no home except their RV and they just sit in one spot for weeks and weeks, and months, even years. I don't think I could do that. A couple months, yeah, but years?! Nah.

Speaking of old retired people and their dogs, I am telling you, these people are OBSESSED about their dogs. Now, we were pretty obsessed about our cats before we had kids, so I kind of understand, but the image yesterday takes the cake. I saw this couple with what I thought was their grandchild in a baby stroller - and you know exactly where I'm going with this - yep, the dog was in the stroller and they were walking around the park, happy as you please. WHAT? I thought that when you took a dog for a walk - it was so the DOG - COULD - WALK!!! You gotta be kidding me. Now, isn't that going just a wee bit too far??

Well, better run. Gotta find some thermal underware, because, well, for those of you in the know, we need something to cover our heads with in this cold weather! :) Um, maybe I'll just turn the heat up this time . . . (sorry, inside joke)

Blessings,
jill and all

1 comment:

  1. Okay, on the dog front, I totally agree with you on taking the dog for a walk part, so the DOG COULD WALK!! And, I bet that dog wasn't incapacitated in anyway either, except for the fact that it was probably spoiled rotten in many many other ways also. I LOVE my dogs, and dogs in general, but to the extent of what some people do for them, ugh. Sleeping in the house, a kennel, food and water, a doggie biscuit every now and then, and a game of catch, now that's a dogs life. A stroller, yes, something is wrong with that picture.

    Just so you know, the weather here hasn't been too pleasant as of late. Last few days RAIN, this weekend, no rain - phew, but only low 50's. Rain again M/T, 45-50 degrees, then W-Su, low to mid 50's and cloudy. Gypsy Days parade is next Saturday, brrrr.

    I hope to be one of those "old people" living in an RV traveling from place to place w/my dog, (NO STROLLER), but I wouldn't want to stay put for years. Then you may as well have a house, right?!

    Travel Safe, Lisa B.

    ReplyDelete