Monday, September 7, 2009

The fine art of rollerblading . . .

Well, I didn't expect to spend last evening in the ER - but there we were. I heard the scream and knew it wasn't just an, "I scraped my knee" kind of scream. No, it was the one where the hair stands up on the back of your neck and you just know there'll be more blood than you really wanted to see. Gary went out the door and yelled, "Oh, my gosh!" and then I knew it was really bad.

I'm glad I wasn't the first to see him, cause they all say I probably would have fainted, and they may be right. When I looked out the door, I didn't see any blood, and I'm wondering what happened and Gary just said, "He broke his arm, it's pretty bad." And so I said, "Okay, let's go to the hospital." And we took off his rollerblades, grabbed his shoes and jumped in the sub. We had no idea where to go, of course, so we asked a guy at the gas station and off we sped.

Gary then explained to me what he saw. His arm was bent clear backwards at a 60 degree angle, and instinctively, Gary just grabbed the wrist and pulled it straight. After the initial moment of total agony, it actually gave him some relief, although he was still in A LOT of pain. The bone had been pushing into the arm and looked like it was just on the verge of poking out the skin, but thank God it was not.

Long story short, 4 xrays, a mean quasi-nurse that about killed him just trying to put the iv in, (she never did, just left him black and blue, and a really nice nurse took over and did just fine, thank you very much) , 5 electrodes - 3 on the chest, one on his side and one on his leg (are you kidding me? what on earth for?), blood pressure cuff and oxygen - (it was a broken bone - not major surgery - for Pete's sake), and a respritory therapist - then finally the orthopedic doctor came in, re-set the arm a bit more, (actually Gary had gotten it lined up pretty well himself) and 3 1/2 hours later and we were out the door.

The poor guy. What a way to end a perfectly good rollerblading ride. The terrible tale? It was follow-the-leader with them following each other just a liiiittle too close. Judah hit some bumps and fell, totally uninjured (thank God), and Ezra flew over the top of him, breaking his fall, literally, with his hands - and - snap. So, poor Ez is pretty much out of commission for active sports and swimming (and showering) for about 6-8 weeks. Not good. But, he's not too sad that he doesn't have to do his writing for school, I can tell you that. So mom's going to have to write down his math problems and workbook answers as he does them. It would have to be his right arm. But, last time it was his left, so I guess he just wanted to even things out a bit.

So, that's our latest bit of excitement here on the Aderhold Adventure Channel. Frankly, I'm hoping they cancel the series - I could use a little lull in these kind of adventures, if you know what I mean. But, I thank God he's doing well now, dispite it all. He is one tough cookie.

Well, better run. We are going to an orchard and pick some peaches, nectarines and blueberries. MMM.

Take care everyone. And don't rollerblade too close to anyone - just a little piece of advice.

Blessings,
jill and all

No comments:

Post a Comment