Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 1,2, and 3

Okay, so we get 20 miles from home, pull into the Walmart parking lot to return a redbox video, and liquid stuff starts shooting out of the engine! It was like a volcano, India said. Welcome to the world we Aderholds travel in! It's always something. After letting it cool down, Noah figured out what was wrong, and thankfully, Gary was able to buy a new hose something or other and fixed it. Yeah! It's sure nice to have him around at times like this!!!! :)
While the guys' heads were under the hood, we hiked over to Qdoba for one last hurrah before we left, then took off for the west to see my aunt and uncle. Nice visit. Then to the Black Hills. Stayed with a very very dear friend from high school - well - actually junior high and gradeschool as well. I've known Jenny all my life it seems. She oozes hospitality and I am blessed to call her my friend.

We are now in Rapid City - otherwise known as - tourist haven. We start our quest for spotting license plates by state. Each one has a map of the US and we will fill in the state as we see them. We have a couple days here, so we should get most of the nation filled in before we leave.
Our new passion - vegan smores! Well, okay, not entirely vegan, since the marshmallow we got were made with fish gelatin. But, they're kosher so it's all good. My boys had never had them before, so you can imagine how crazy they went for them. Who wouldn't?! We used 80% dark chocolate - talk about a caffine rush! I thought they'd be up all night, but about an hour later, the whole clan was snoring. Maybe it works in reverse for these guys. Um, I just had a thought - long car ride, boys fighting in the back seat, arguing, punching, tormenting each other - perhaps a little chuck of chocolate would take care of that right quick! Hey, maybe I'm on to something here . . .

We plan to see Gary's sister today, and her daughter who just had a baby. We were going to play tourist while we were here, riding the 1880 train, doing the President's slide, and what not, so we'll have to get that in tomorrow. Funny weather though. Normally it would be 95 degrees at this time, and it's been rainy and cool - today's high is to be 73 degrees. Strange. Very strange indeed.
But, I do love love love the hills and the pines especially. There is something about the smell of pine trees, I don't know. I can fairly drink it in. Maybe it takes me back to grade school, coming out here for church camp or something. Anyway, it sure brings about a sense of peace for me. And it's beautifully breathtaking to look at.

Well, I will quit for now. I'm told by my chatty daughter that blogs are to be short. You all who know me, know that is one thing I am not - short on words. But I will try not to be too long-winded - if I can. :)
Blessings,
jill

2 comments:

  1. Hey!

    I was just wondering the other day -- oh where, oh where have the Aderhold's gone? Oh where, oh where can they be? It will be fun to follow your travels. Is there a way to get an email alert when you have made a new post to the blog? I need those kind of reminders as I will no doubt forget to check it for days!

    We are taking Levi to the Mayo Clinic on Aug. 12th for a 2nd opinion on his hand. Would appreciate prayers (if you think of it) for supernatural wisdom & discernment for the Dr. We hope to get a good sense of the direction we should go and move forward. Will let you know.

    Have a safe journey, great fun & family bonding time! Will look forward to the updates. God bless your whole bunch!

    Laura A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Adema,

    I think if you 'follow' the blog (you can click there from the home page), you should be able to set it so that you receive an email when a new post is posted. Hope that works! It was good to hear from you. :)

    India

    (I'll be praying for Levi)

    ReplyDelete